How to Beat Facebook's New Algorithm
You’ve probably heard the news that Facebook tweaked its algorithms once again to reduce the reach of business and organization pages. Pages with posts that link to outside content, are promotional/salesy, aren't engaging or don't encourage people to look at the posts for longer periods of time are penalized. So how can you combat this increasingly challenging situation?
Here are a few things to do.
Solutions to Facebook’s Algorithm Changes:
- Make sure content resonates with readers. Use emotion that connects with them. Provide value.
- Don’t use social posting tools like Hootsuite.
- Avoid calls to action.
- Do Facebook and Instagram ads from Ads Manager – not as a post boost.
- Don’t run contests and promotions on your main page. (Create posts and ads only from Ads Manager.)
- Capture leads for your email list with Facebook Lead Forms rather than external landing pages.
- Write long-form content to increase the time people spend reading posts.
- Create videos or use Facebook live! Don’t use an external link from YouTube. Be sure to upload directly to Facebook.
- Make sure your target audience is relevant. Use the news feed audience targeting option when posting organically.
- Make sure your page “About” section is fully filled out.
- Reply to comments.
- Post personal content as much as possible.
- Try new Facebook features.
- Get involved in Facebook groups where all posts are shown to the members.
Don’t put all your eggs in the Facebook basket. Gather emails/phone numbers on Facebook to start a drip email sequence or texting program, and then you will have a contact list that will be an asset you own for the long term. Even if Facebook shuts down business reach completely, you'll be well prepared to move your marketing efforts elsewhere.